Tuesday 19 May 2015

After the London Eye



Last Wednesday's glorious weather  prompted a trip on the London Eye with my granddaughter. The green Thames glittered below and all the buildings, from familiar  St Pauls, Big Ben and the Houses of Parliament, to the newer  the Shard and Gherkin, sparkled in the sunlight.



An  unexpected reaction to a view of the whole city laid below was one of nostalgia and regret. How could I leave all this behind?

I even put it to my husband when I got home that it might be better for us to rent a place in Docklands for six months - I'd seen some lovely flats advertised  in the Evening Standard. We could call it a 'transition' phase.

Next day, I was distracted by a phone call from my solicitor. Another delay was in the offing.

'Come on !' I said to Jack the estate agent. ' Maternity leave doesn't come as a surprise.'

But it does, of course, if there are complications, and that's what's happened to my buyer's solicitor. Not only that, but there's no other conveyancer in the firm, so the papers are all passed over to a completely new person in a different company. I could only wish the woman well and grit my teeth for more waiting.

Afterwards it occurred to me that the deadline for a response to the lease extension is on the 22nd . So I emailed my solicitor and the estate agent to remind the buyer.

'Oh, she's going down the formal route', so that doesn't matter.' Quite what this means wasn't  explained but I did find out on Monday that the new solicitor hasn't had time yet to look at the papers. Of course.

So it looks like a 'transition' phase will occur without a move to Docklands and the consequent  £2,000 per month rental charge.

In the circumstances, i.e. now that May is here, I can't really say I'm sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment